Murugan Temple Society (MTS) has been registered as a Non-Profit Society in
British Columbia (Incorporation Number: S-0035264) and also registered as a Charitable Organization(Registration Number: 89251 3136 RR0001). The Society operates the SRI MURUGAN TEMPLE, located at 16680 River Road, Richmond, British Columbia, V6V 1L6 Canada and promotes religious, spiritual, cultural, educational, social, and humanitarian needs and commitments for the benefits of its members including thousands of devotees in and around the Greater Vancouver area and other places. We are currently looking for 1 experienced Hindu Priest to join our team. This is a temporary full time position for a period of two years reporting directly to the Temple Administrator.
MURUGAN TEMPLE SOCIETY provides a place of worship in Richmond, BC which is a part of the Greater Vancouver Area where devotees offer prayers to Lord Murugan on daily basis. Special prayers and religious activities are also held on a monthly basis to celebrate certain festivals of the Hindus. The prayer hall facility is free and open to all devotees.
Temple Operating Name: Murugan Temple Society (MTS)
Temple Address: 16680 River Road, Richmond, BC V6V 1L6 Canada
Murugan Temple Society (MTS) invites applications for the temporary full-time position
Hindu Priest for a period two years to cover the leave of absence of the current priest for their Sri Murugan Temple to perform daily Poojas (rituals) at the temple located at 16680 River Road, Richmond, BC V6V 1L6 Canada. Applications are accepted directly from interested priests only (not from any job hunter type agencies or recruitment agencies or other individuals).
Job Title: Priest
No. of Positions: 1
Job Description and Duties:
- Meet the temple community’s devotional and spiritual needs, the priest is required to perform the daily routine of Hindu Vedic rituals / ceremonies and other priestly duties as approved by the management at the temple and in strict compliance with the acceptable Hindu customs and traditions
- Obey all lawful directives and instructions of the Society and temple Administrators;
- Under no circumstances, leave the Temple facilities unattended during Temple hours;
- Perform all poojas according to the schedule set by the Society from time to time;
- Perform archanais only upon receipt of archanai tickets authorized by and purchased from the Society;
- Report and hand over to the persons designated by the Society all the contributions from the devotees to the Temple or the Society in the form of money (placed in the arathi thattu, handed to the Priest, or donated in any manner) or in any other form;
- Clean the inner temple (sannithanam) so that it is kept clean and tidy at all times;
- Conduct religious services and associated activities, preach doctrine, provide temple devotees with spiritual and moral guidance, perform necessary religious and spiritual rites;
- Treat all devotees and other visitors to the Temple with respect and courtesy and in a professional manner.
Terms of Employment: Temporary, Full Time
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
(Split Hours: 9 AM to 12 Noon and 5 PM to 7 PM)
Required to work from Monday to Sunday, all seven days a week.
Subject to provincial restrictions.
Wages: $2,600.00 (Wages $1,350.00 per month plus other consolidated benefits such as accommodation, healthcare, utility etc. amounting to about $1,250.00 per month)
Overtime: One and one-half times the regular wage rate as per provincial regulations
Location of Work: 16680 River Road, Richmond, BC V6V 1L6 Canada
Anticipated Start Date of Employment: As soon as possible
Education, Experience and Language Requirements:
- Experience in the rites and practices set out in the Kamika and Karana Agamas as observed in the Saivite Hindu tradition, including Homam and Kumba Abhishekam and Temple Poojas and Rituals
- Shall be proficient in performing Vaidika Karyakramas including the Jatakarma, Namakarana Punniyaka Vachanam, Annaprasanam, Upanayanam (Janeu),Vidyarambha Samskaras, Ayushyahomam, Santhihomam, Mruthyunjayahomam, Nakshatrahomam, Navagrahahomam, Ganapathihomam, Rudrahomam, Chandi Parayanam and Homam, Moorthis Pratishtaapanas, Sahasranama Pooja, Rudrabhishekam
- Skillful in Alankaram and decoration of deities in various forms during temple functions and major festivals
- Should be able to communicate with the congregation and administration in Tamil
- Well versed in Shukla and Krishna Yajurveda and Upanishads, including
Sri Rudram, Chamakam, Purusha Suktam Sri Suktam, Durga Suktam, Pavamana Suktam and Navagraha Suktam desirable
- A minimum of two years’ experience as a Hindu Priest
- No formal education requirements. However, some certification and training pertaining to Vedic and Agamas (Karana and Kamiya Agamas) from a Hindu religious organization would be an asset.
Working Conditions and Physical Capabilities:
- Repetitive tasks
- Standing for extended periods
Additional Skills and Other Requirements:
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Must be a team player, flexible, reliable and organized
- Must be available for all hours of operations and shifts including overtime and weekend work as required
Preference given to applicants who are Canadian Citizens, Canadian Permanent Residents, New Immigrants, Indigenous Persons / Aboriginals, Visible Minorities, Vulnerable Youth, Persons with Disabilities.
If this opportunity interests you, and you meet all of the above requirements, please submit your resume and a cover letter by email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to
16680 River Road, Richmond, BC V6V 1L6 Canada.
We thank all applicants for their interest in the position; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.