Industrial Automation PLC / HMI Programmer
The role of the Automation Programmer/Designer will include automation and controls systems design, PLC/HMI/SCADA programming, simulation and testing, and start-up commissioning. The ideal candidate must have a proven track record in developing advanced PLC and HMI logic and programming with the following software vendors:
- Allen Bradley, and
HMI/SCADA programming and configuration with the following software vendors:
- Rockwell FactoryTalk View ME,
- Rockwell FactoryTalk View SE,
- Siemens WinCC flexible
- Siemens WinCC
- 5-10 years direct hands on work experience designing, programming, testing and commissioning advanced control systems in a variety of industries (i.e. Food Processing, Pharmaceutical, Chemical, Mining)
- Possesses advanced knowledge and thorough understanding in the areas of control system integration, plant floor automation, application programming, databases and system design.
- Ability to complete assigned tasks and maintain schedule for multiple projects as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
- Ability to evaluate and convey contractual scope of work and the impact of client issued project scope and/or scheduling changes to the assigned project manager.
- Background in electrical and instrumentation wiring and troubleshooting an asset.
- Experience at working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment is essential.
- Conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Experience reading electrical schematics/wiring diagrams and P&ID drawings.
- Must have an appropriate college or graduate degree in Electrical/Electronics or Computer Engineering.
- Knowledge of:
- the Ontario or Canadian Electrical Code
- ISA 100
- ISA 101, and
- ISA 95
are strong assets.
- Programming experience with .Net, C/C++, C#, VB/VB.Net, SQL/TSQL/SQL+ or other high level language is a strong asset.
- Ability to read and understand electrical prints.
- Electrical design/drafting experience with AutoCAD Electrical, Eplan, promis.e, etc. is a definite asset.
- Flexible working hours with the ability to travel on occasion.
- Strong written and oral English communication skills. Any other spoken or written languages would be considered an asset.
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to learn, understand, and apply new software and technologies.
- Basic understanding of hydraulics.
- Understanding of variable frequency drives (VFD).
- Complete software programming and hardware/software design using established standards as required.
- Provides detailed information to communicate design and operation to consultants, clients and contractors as applicable.
- Effectively communicates the status of projects to management.
- Assists with the selection, ordering and delivery of software and hardware for the assigned projects.
- Assists in communicating both technical and business impact related issues to clients and management.
- Assumes a leading role in the commissioning and testing of all systems defined under scope of work. Validates complete system functionality and troubleshoots issues with contractors and clients to ensure proper operation.
- Provides project specific training for owners and operators as required.
- Assists in development and creation of system operation manuals and training material based on project deliverables.
- Provides coaching and mentoring to junior resources and shares experience and knowledge in a collaborative environment.
- Maintain awareness of new and emerging technologies and the potential application on client engagements.
- Develops programming estimates to support cost estimation for quoting and sales initiatives.
- Ensure all documents and programs are complete, current, and stored appropriately upon project completion.
- Keep track of lessons learned on projects and share the information with the engineering and sales teams.
- Sitting, standing, walking for extended period of time
- Driving a vehicle
- Tolerating noise and temperature variations
- Lifting up to 50 pounds
- Able to travel extensively to customer job sites. Some international travel could apply.
- Ensure a “Safety-First” climate on the job site at all times.
Please submit all resumes to:-